Katherine Sabbath's Vegan Lemon and Blueberry Drizzle Loaf
Welcome to Put on a Spread, a recipe series that takes you inside the kitchens – and dining rooms – of some of our favourite home cooks. For this instalment, master baker and dessert extraordinaire Katherine Sabbath shares her recipe for a vegan lemon and blueberry drizzle loaf.
Baking queen Katherine Sabbath is back again with another exciting new recipe to satisfy our tastebuds. And the best part? This delectable loaf is vegan.
Bursting with blueberries and lemon, this luscious loaf is full of fresh, sweet, and vibrant flavours. The zest from the lemon is perfectly offset by the sweet pops of juicy blueberries, both of which unite to deliver a wonderfully fresh flavour. Topped off with a simple yet impactful lemon drizzle, it truly is a cake to win over hearts.
Served as a dinner party dessert or made as a delicious afternoon treat, this tasty loaf is sure to make even the fussiest eater happy.
For the Loaf:
- 380g (2 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of sea salt flakes
- 240g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 100ml (just over 1/3 cup) neutral vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) vegan milk (I used soy)
- 40ml (2-3 tbsp) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen. If using frozen, lightly dust with flour to prevent them sinking in the batter)
For the Lemon Drizzle:
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 160g (approx 1 cup) icing sugar mixture
Preheat the oven to 170°C (350°F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 22cm loaf tin with non-stick baking paper.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
In a seperate bowl, mix together vegetable oil, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla until combined.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold through the blueberries.
Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean.
Allow loaf to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the lemon drizzle, mix lemon juice, vegan butter and icing sugar together until combined.
Drizzle the icing over the cooled cake, top with more lemon zest, and enjoy!
For more from Katherine, follow her at @katherine_sabbath