7 Easy Ways to Overhaul Your Space on a Budget
If your home is starting to feel more chaotic than it is inviting, it’s time to hit refresh on your interiors. We know, we know, this sort of talk generally goes hand-in-hand with parting with a lot of cash. But if you’re saving your money for something exciting, we have good news, it is possible carry out a total seasonal overhaul on a budget. Here’s how...
1. Just Add Colour
Often the change you’re seeking comes in the form of a slick of coloured paint. According to Liz Hayward, Sydney-based interior designer and founder of Hayward and Co, changing the colour of a room (or just a single wall) can completely shift the ambience of your space.
“It can instantly lighten a dark room, or add mood to an otherwise simple room,” says Liz. “For those who are bold enough, a navy bedroom can be a real statement, or for a hint of subtle colour a light grey or a celadon green can work well, too.”
2. Give Your Bed Linen an UpdateAs one of the pieces in your bedroom that ticks both the “functional” and “decorative” boxes, it’s worth investing in new bed linen that you can enjoy at every level.
“Bed linen can often be one of the biggest pieces in a bedroom spatially, yet changing it can be one of the least expensive ways to update your space. With the most amazing yet accessible options in the marketplace these days, there is really is no excuse to have bad bed linen,” explains Liz.
3. Get the Basics RightA completely free way to ensure your bedroom looks 10/10 is to simply make your bed. Ok, this one might seem a little obvious but according to a survey of 68,000 people by Hunch.com, 59 per cent said they don’t make their bed every day.
“The easiest and cheapest (so cheap, it's free!) way to transform your room is to simply make your bed. Not only will your mother be proud of you, it will instantly make your bedroom look fresh and composed,” recommends Liz.
4. Get Your DIY OnWhether it’s purchasing second-hand furniture from an op shop, or snapping up a diamond-in-the-rough chair from Gumtree, consider restoring pre-loved decor. “We live in such a wasteful society, so when possible, it’s always good to stop and look around to see what you can update rather than toss. A reupholster of fabric or a coat of paint can instantly transform something that is looking tired, dated or simply just doesn't go with your new style,” explains Liz.
5. Treat Yourself to a Bunch of FlowersHydrangeas, roses, peonies — whatever your preference, never underestimate the ability of fresh blooms to breathe life into your home.
“There’s a lot to be said for entering your space and seeing a fresh bunch of flowers on your table... you can even look in your own garden for real affordability,” says Liz.
6. Throw It OnIf you’re wanting to add a little more warmth and cosiness to your space, look no further than our favourite duo — blankets and throws.
“I absolutely love a blanket or throw on the end of bed or over a couch arm. To me it can take a space from unapproachable to welcoming and homely. From a decorating perspective it also allows for another avenue to introduce texture and colour into your scheme,” says Liz.
7. Never Underestimate the Power of Simple TouchesIf you’re wanting to give your bedroom a budget-friendly update but don’t know where to start, there are three key pieces that will completely overhaul the space.
“If you have a mattress with no frame or bedhead your room can look like a uni student’s dorm room. A good bedhead (or frame), suitably-sized bedside tables (as big as the room allows is a good rule), and some well-proportioned lamps will instantly bring a room together,” suggests Liz.
Now that we’re on the topic, here are 7 easy ways to update your home in winter and, according to Pinterest, these are six of the trends heading to an interior near you this season.
Discover our range of luxurious and accessible 100% French flax linen bedding here.